May 26, 2002
Flourless Chocolate Torte
I got this recipe from a friend who made it for Passover. I just tried making it today, and while I haven't tasted it yet, I have to admit that it smells wonderful. :) It's originally from all recipes.
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
18(1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate
1 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch round cake pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- Either in the top half of a double boiler or in a microwave oven melt the bittersweet chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, 1 piece at a time. Beat in the hot sugar-water. Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake cake in the water bath at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake overnight in the pan. To un-mold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a serving plate.
Edited to add... I took a pic to show off my handiwork. :)